October 21, 2022
Happy October! We have had a busy two weeks since Fall Break and the pace will continue through conferences, October 31-November 10.
Here is a quick rundown of class news and school activities:
- College Week wraps up Friday the 21st with a slideshow and special guest: A Reed graduate and one of Mrs. Ellner’s former students! Ask your child what they learned and/or what they think about college when you see them after school.
- Reed’s Fall Festival opens this Saturday, October 22nd, from 1 to 5 PM. No worries if you did not order tickets ahead of time; they will be for sale on site. The auction is online, however, at this link: https://www.32auctions.com/ReedFallFestival2022. Please don’t miss the chance to bid on our class wreath, an ice cream party for 6, or your child’s hand-painted bookmark! (NOTE: Families only need to bid once for a bookmark; PTA and teachers will ensure that student bookmarks get into the correct hands. :o)
- School Picture Retake day occurs Wednesday, October 26th. We are scheduled for this BEFORE lunch.
- The second BioSite Field trip happens Wednesday, October 26th after an early lunch. Students should wear a Reed t-shirt, pants or shorts, sturdy shoes, and sunblock. It’s OK to bring water bottles on this trip; it got pretty warm last time.
- Note: I already have your signed field trip forms for this series of trips. Please remit the white photo release form at your earliest convenience, however.
- Conferences are coming up! The official conference window is October 31st-November 11th. Many families signed up for a conference using the link shared at Back to School Night. One family has already successfully rescheduled, and one other family emailed me to reschedule-but I could not figure out which family it was! No worries- I will get in touch with all of you to confirm or reschedule next week so you have a conference day/time by Friday, October 28th.
- Math-we start Module 3 this week, with a focus on Prime Numbers, comparing and ordering larger numbers, and calculating perimeter and area. Lessons emphasized will be based on student results of the Pre-Test taken today. Math Modules 1-3 and the corresponding Unit Assessment will be included on report cards. Please see the chart below for standards highlighted in Module 3.
- Reading: Close Reading of non-fiction texts including our Social Studies book and related NewsELA articles. Monitoring skills while reading self-chosen texts, modeled and taught through a shared read of the grade-level text, The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo and our Social Studies text. Focus on Main Idea and Details, answering Text-Dependent Questions.
- Writing: The Writing Progress Assessment (WPA) has been completed and is in the process of being scored. The score will appear on report cards; student work will be available for you to view at conferences. The focus here continues to be on Narrative Writing with emphasis on characterization and including sensory details.
- Social Emotional Learning
- Our class is working through Second Step Unit 2, Lesson 7 on Rethinking. Rethinking means to think about situations in different way and look for other aspects of them. Rethinking can help us by changing how we feel about situations.
- Our class asked themselves what they were going to do for their Self Care this week. Answers included: Exercise, eat right, get more sleep, and spend time with friends. Please take time to view the video linked below and consider including conversations about Self Care in your home routine.
- Procedures, Expectations, and Consequences: Our class is retaught and expected to practice one or more procedures daily. We have also had class conversations about consequences for repeated, minor behaviors that can derail a lesson or activity.
- September and October birthdays:
- Kyle 9/6
- Kaitlyn 9/15
- Avery 9/27
- Janie 9/13
- Paarth 9/29
- Saharai 9/14
- Olivia 9/12
- Athena 10/18
- Malakai 10/18
- Seth 10/22
- Alexander 10/24