June 5, 2017 _Update_
Summer Meals for Students/Comidas de Verano para Estudiantes
- Free Summer Food Program/Programa libre de comida de verano
- San Jose Public Library/Biblioteca Pública de San José; more information at the bottom of this post!
- Free healthy meals from USDA, administered by the California Department of Education, no child needs to go hungry when school is out of session this summer.
- To find the nearest summer meal, text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” for Spanish to 877-877, dial 2-1-1 or visit http://bit.ly/CASummerMeals17
May 23, 2017
Reading Rockets! Summer Ideas for teachers to share with families.
- Every single great idea for Summer reading and math on one page. There are even links to other websites that feature rich language and help students learn about the world. Take one section at a time to figure out what will work for you and be fun for your family.
Start With A Book
- A Summer reading website sponsored by Reading Rockets! Children’s book recommendations, videos, and activities built around high-interest themes. Originally targeted to Washington, D.C. families and summer school teachers, with resources everyone can use.
Reading Rockets! Parents page
- A great jumping-off point for families, with research, activities, videos and more to help you support your children, including:
Drumming Out Syllables – Video of The Syllable Game
What is 21st Century Education? – Video!
A 3-Minute Video Explaining the Common Core Standards
Common Core: Standards, Not Curriculum – National PTA Video
San Jose Unified School District – Main Page
Common Core State Standards State Standards Initiative
Carson Elementary Blended Learning Links
San Jose Public Library Summer Reading
San Jose Public Library Free Summer Food
May 10, 2016
Welcome to Carson Elementary School’s Literacy Night!
You are visiting the “Carson Connections” station. I want you to practice entering a web address, clicking on hyperlinks, and using the “back” button. Since you are here, you have entered the correct URL, or web address. Congratulations! Below are the hyperlinks you will be visiting:
- Clifford’s Letter Match
- Clifford’s Sound Match
- Rhyme Time! with Grover
- Starfall: Learn to Read
- ABCya! – Click on your grade to pick good-fit games.
- Carson’s Adaptive Learning Links page – look for the link to Ms. Seyan’s blog on the right hand side!
Which page would you like to visit again? :o)
February 9, 2016
February 8th-10th will be the final three days of this session of our After School Group (ASG).
A new group will start right after Winter Break; the first day of the new ASG will be Monday, February 22.
Some of you will be in the new group, and some of you will “graduate”. You will find out tomorrow!
Here are the sites you can visit during your Preferred Activity time in class:
Students in the after school group will do Lexia, Dreambox, and typing in addition to written skill builders and small group work. Please follow teacher directions for each day to find out what your assignment is.
Friday, January 15th was Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday. I am sure many of you are learning about this important American in your classes. This week, you have the opportunity to listen to his most famous speech during your group time!
Martin Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech
Video: “The Man Who Changed America”
Photographs and Biographical Essay on National Geographic.com
Those of you with fewer Lexia minutes per week need to be working on typing skills for your in-class writing assignments as well as for the SBAC in the Spring! Please click on the following link for online typing activities to practice with:
Typing Games Online
Finally, remember that there’s no school on Monday in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. We will be back in class on Tuesday, January 19th!
December 16, 2015
Students in the After School Group will be doing Lexia, Dreambox, Lexia Skillbuilders, and small group lessons with the teacher. When a student has finished their work for the day, they may visit our class’ blog and choose an activity for themselves. On Tuesdays, students have the opportunity to play games of choice that are NOT listed below, such as agar.io.
Each student has an individual plan for time spent in Lexia, in small groups, and in doing independent work. Thus, choice time will vary…except on Tuesday, when all students are allowed an extra 10 minutes of choice time.
Choice Sites for Students Who Complete Daily Work:
Math Facts in a Flash (requires log in)
PBS Kids Engineering Games
Choice Sites for Tuesdays ONLY:
December 15, 2015 UPDATE:
Here are three more sites you may visit on Wednesday after you finish Lexia and Dreambox:
Easy Reading Passages on Starfall
JumpStart Reading Games
November 23, 2015
Remember that this week, we will be meeting from 2:22-3:15 on Tuesday, and Wednesday is cancelled. Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!
Carson Adaptive Learning Links
RenPlace for Accelerated Reader, Math Facts in a Flash
The below sites are for home use or during After School Group Preferred Time ONLY:
5th Grade Games on FunBrain